Friday, March 27, 2009

Adi Parvamu- The Story of MatsyaGandha

The son of the fish Apsara Adrika was called King of Fishermen and he later grew up and became the King of Matsya Kingdom. The girl was called Satyavati, her skin smelt like fish. Hence she was called MatsyaGandha (one who has the smell of fish). King Dasa raised her like his daughter. As told by her father she sailed a boat in river Yamuna. One day rishi Parashara was on a pilgrimage and he was going past river Yamuna and he saw MatsyaGandha. She was standing alone on the shore looking for sailors, there was no one around and rishi Parashara was the only one to travel by her boat. He sat on her boat, MatsyaGandha was a very beautiful young girl. He was taken by her beauty, he could not get her out of his mind.
He told MatsyaGandha that he had fallen in love with her. She was taken back and was frightened and feared of a curse if she would reject him. She said " I am in my father's abode, I am fisher woman by caste, I smell like a fish. You have your heart on me, you are a great sage. What should I do now? How can I face my elders If I lose my purity and virginity?"
rishi Parashara said " You will be as pure as a flower, I will make sure of that. Like you think you are not a fisher woman, you are the daughter of Vasu and Apsara Adrika. I will also remove your fish smell, you will have a fragrant smell for even many Yojanas distance." Even before he finished his sentence, she started smelling like fragrance, and she became YojanaGandha and Gandhavati. Her small Saree disappeared and she was dressed like a queen in silk and many jewels. The boat reached a small island on river Yamuna, YojanaGandha and rishi Parashara rested there.

4 comments:

Bipin said...

I was searching for some mahabharata stuff and imagine my surprise to find your blog :)

You have found atleast 1 regular visitor :)

Vai K said...

Thanks Bipin!

Anonymous said...

Is this the story about the time when that guy was looking for a ring and then he found it in the fish's mouth?

claydubberly@yahoo.com or youtube.com/thejesusfreak919

I was shown this in class today. Add 35 views to this :)

Anonymous said...

[ ... ] link is being shared on Twitter right now. @zenx, an influential author, said RT @1ndus: Xtreme [ ... ]