Friday, February 20, 2009

Adi Parvamu- Betting between Vinatha and Kadruva

Ugrasravasa said " As I mentioned before Uchhaishravas was born after Amrutham. One day Uchhaishravas was wandering on the beaches of an ocean. Vinatha and Kadruva reached there for fresh air. The blue waves of the ocean were a wonderful sight, they brought in pearls and shells on to the shore. They were also bringing in a cold drizzle, the sight and feel was amazing. While enjoying all this Vinatha and Kadruva reached the place where Uchhaishravas was, it was milky white in color and was very pure.

Kadruva said to Vinatha " Hey, look at that beautiful white horse, it looks more pure than a Jasmine flower. But like Lord Chandra, the defect it has is its black tail". Vinatha said " Common Kadruva, Is your eye sight alright?.The horse looks wonderful and I don't see any problems with it. She looks the purest form and white in color all over, even the tail" and laughed. Kadruva laughed and said" Are you insulting my judgement? OK, lets have a bet". Both of them were all ready for the bet. Kadruva said " If the tail of that horse is not black, then I will become your slave, else you become my slave". Vinatha said " OK, lets do as you please, lets go and closer and have a look". Kadruva objected by saying that it was dark and they might not get a good look, so she wanted to come back the next day morning. Vinatha agreed to this and they both returned home.

Kadruva could not sleep the whole night. She called her sons and said " Sons, I have fallen in to trouble. Please help me, there is nothing that is impossible for you guys. Today me and your aunt Vinatha went to the shore and there was was a horse wandering there, I said that the horse was white except for its tail which was black and she said that it was completely white. After a long talk we placed and bet and will be going back to check the horse tomorrow morning. I know I will lose and I will have to become her slave. For her to become my slave the tail should be black, Can you guys make it black for me?"

All the sons started thinking, they felt that it was Adharma ( not being righteous). They said that they cannot do such immoral act. Kadruva was very angry and said " I took so much pain to bear you as pregnant and then I raised you. You guys are not helping me when I am trouble, You guys will burn to death in Janamejaya's Sarpa Yagam( A Yagna performed to kill serpents)." That is the reason Janamejaya performed Sarpa Yagam.

The Serpents did not listen to anything that their mother Kadruva, but Karkotaka was frightened by her words. He went and wound around the tail of Uchhaishravas. Kadruva took Vinatha and went to see the horse, the tail was black. Vinatha became a slave of Kadruva as Aruna cursed.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

oye boby!!!!!!
Chak de phatte

Anonymous said...

What happened? Run out of inspiration? Waiting eagerly for your next blog.

Vai K said...

I was on vacation and the next story is a bit big :). I am still glued, you will see the post soon.

vasuri said...

great keep go like this
all the best

Anonymous said...

I want to buy a good Maha Bharatham (Authentic) Book. Where can I get.

My language is Telugu.

V Ravi

vravimcse@yahoo.com